5 Questions need answers!

Family - Questions & Answers

About Answers to Questions

Answers to questions are provided for informational purposes only and are not intended as legal, medical, financial, or other professional advice or as a substitute for seeking professional assistance on your particular situation or factual circumstances. Thryv, Inc., provider of, disclaims any and all liability for the information provided in Answers, including from your reliance on Answers for any purpose. Any responders designated as a “Pro” are practitioners in their relevant field, but their Answers represent their own opinions and are not endorsed by Thryv, Inc. Some responders, such as those designated as “Content Contributor,” may receive some form of compensation for providing Answer content. Information provided in Answers may not represent the full scope of options available in the relevant field, and may not be updated to account for recent changes in an industry or market. If you have a medical or other emergency, please dial 911 or contact a professional to seek appropriate assistance with your specific concern.

Answers provided for informational purposes only – not intended as professional advice on any particular situation. This site disclaims all liability for Answers.

All Questions (213)

Filter by Topic:

How can I find my father that’s in a nursing home in Brooklyn



To find your father in a nursing home in Brooklyn, you can follow these steps:
  1. Gather Information: Collect as much information as possible about your father, such as his full name, date of birth, Social Security number, and any additional details like the nursing home's name or address (if known). This information will be valuable for your search.
  2. Use Online Directories: Utilize online directories or databases specifically designed for nursing homes, such as the New York State Department of Health's Nursing Home Profile or National nursing home directories. These platforms allow you to search for nursing homes by name or location.
  3. Contact Local Nursing Homes: Reach out to the nursing homes in Brooklyn, either by phone or email, and provide the relevant information about your father. They might be able to assist you in locating him or confirming if he is a resident there.
  4. Reach Out to Local Government Agencies: Get in touch with the New York State Department of Health or local social services agencies. They might have information regarding your father's residency in a nursing home or can offer guidance on finding him.
  5. Search Public Records: You can search public records or databases relevant to nursing homes in Brooklyn, such as inspection reports or license information available on the New York State Department of Health website. These records might provide contact details or other helpful information.
  6. Consider Hiring a Private Investigator: If your search efforts don't yield any results, you might want to consider hiring a private investigator with experience in finding individuals in nursing homes. They can help navigate the process and assist in locating your father.

Remember to respect privacy laws and regulations when searching for your father.

...Read More

How can check a Case of child custody



To check on a child custody case, here are some general steps you can take:

  1. Gather information: Collect all relevant details about the case, including the names of the parties involved, court jurisdiction, and case number. This information will help you navigate through the court system.

  2. Contact the court: Reach out to the appropriate courthouse or family court where the case was filed. You can usually find contact information online or through a local directory. Inquire about the availability of public access to court records or any restrictions on accessing case information.

  3. Access court records: If the court allows public access to its records, you can access them by visiting the courthouse in person, submitting a written request, or looking up the case online. Some courts offer online databases where you can search for case information using the names of the parties involved or the case number.

  4. Consult an attorney: If you have difficulty finding or understanding the information, consider seeking assistance from an attorney who specializes in family law or child custody cases. They can guide you through the legal process and help interpret the details of the case.

  5. Attend hearings: If you have a specific interest in the case or if you're directly involved, you may be able to attend hearings as an observer. Check with the court regarding their policies on attending hearings and make sure to follow any procedures or guidelines they provide.

Remember, every jurisdiction may have different rules and procedures when it comes to accessing child custody case information. It's important to follow the guidelines set forth by the specific court handling the case.

...Read More

Been in a domestic partnership for 26 years. What rights do i have?


Kenna M.

In many jurisdictions, domestic partnerships can provide legal recognition and certain rights and responsibilities similar to marriage. The specific rights and benefits can vary depending on local laws and regulations. Here are some common areas where domestic partnerships may provide legal rights:

Property Rights In a domestic partnership, you might have rights related to shared property or assets acquired during the partnership.

Healthcare Benefits Some employers and government entities offer healthcare benefits to domestic partners, similar to married couples.

Inheritance Rights Depending on the jurisdiction, domestic partners may have inheritance rights in the absence of a will.

Medical Decisions In some places, domestic partners may have the right to make medical decisions on behalf of their partner if they are incapacitated.

Family Leave and Sick Days Domestic partners may be eligible for family leave or sick days to care for their partner, depending on employment laws.

Tax Benefits In certain regions, domestic partners might have access to certain tax benefits, like filing joint tax returns or claiming tax exemptions.

...Read More

I want to change my house to trust



Changing a house into a trust involves a legal process, and it is recommended to consult with an attorney specializing in estate planning or real estate law. Here are some general steps that may be involved in the process:

  1. Research and consult with an attorney: Find an attorney experienced in trust and estate planning. They can guide you through the process, ensuring compliance with legal requirements and advising on the best approach for your specific situation.
  2. Determine the type of trust: Decide on the type of trust that best suits your needs. Some options include a revocable living trust, irrevocable trust, or qualified personal residence trust (QPRT).
  3. Create the trust: Your attorney will help draft the necessary legal documents, including a trust agreement, deed or assignment of ownership, and any other required paperwork.
  4. Execute the trust: Sign the trust documents, and follow any state-specific requirements for notarization or witnesses.
  5. Transfer ownership: Depending on the trust type and state laws, you may need to transfer ownership of the house to the trust. This could involve executing a quitclaim deed or other transfer documents.
  6. Update title documentation: Update the house's title documents to reflect the trust as the new owner. This process might require submitting the relevant documents to the appropriate local government agency, such as the county recorder's office.
  7. Manage the trust: Once the house is officially transferred to the trust, you need to manage it according to the terms and conditions outlined in the trust agreement. This might include designating a trustee, setting rules for property management, and ensuring ongoing compliance with trust requirements.

Remember, as the process may vary based on your location and specific circumstances, it is crucial to work closely with an attorney to establish and implement a trust correctly.

...Read More

mother in memory home can the poa forbid from visiting her?



I'm not a legal expert, but I can try to provide some general information. The Power of Attorney (POA) for an individual typically grants the designated person the authority to make decisions on behalf of the person who appointed them, often referred to as the principal. However, the specific powers and limitations of a POA can vary depending on the terms outlined in the document, as well as any applicable laws in the jurisdiction. Additionally, laws regarding visitation rights can also vary depending on the circumstances and location.

In general, a POA does not typically have the power to completely restrict or forbid all visitation to the principal, unless specific restrictions were included in the POA document or there are extenuating circumstances such as concerns for the principal's safety or well-being. That being said, it's essential to consult with an attorney who specializes in elder law and has knowledge of the specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction. They will be able to provide you with accurate guidance based on your particular situation.

...Read More